Name: Simon Knight
Sector: Special School
Subject: All subjects
Position: Deputy Headteacher
5 Bits of Advice About: Going on a special school ITT placement
- Try and visit your class in advance of the start of the placement. Address any concerns with your class teacher or tutor before you start.
- Read the behaviour policy and make sure you stick to it, seeking guidance from the classroom staff where necessary.
- Don’t make presumptions about the pupils, particularly regarding diagnostic labels. They are all individuals and should be treated as such.
- Don’t expect to be as competent in Special as you are in Mainstream straight away. This can be frustrating but is completely normal. You will pick it up quickly.
- It can seem very different at times, so if you are concerned about something, don’t go home without talking it though. We were all new to it once.